Grandma’s Peppermint Squares!
Delicious Peppermint Squares! These can easily be made vegan by replacing the butter with dairy-free spread, and changing the chocolate to dark chocolate (that doesn’t have cocoa butter in). This recipe is fairly similar to my Millionaire’s Shortbread recipe which you can find here: https://www.thehalfvegan.com/2020/11/14/yummy-millionaires-shortbread/
Freezer Friendly?: Yes
Does It Keep?: 2-3 days in an airtight tin
For the Base:
- 85g Plain Flour
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 120g Butter
- 50g Cocoa Powder
For the Peppermint Layer:
- 1tsp Peppermint Extract
- 2-3 drops Green Food Colouring (liquid)
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 75g Butter
For the Top:
- 225g Milk Chocolate
- Line a 7inch tin with baking paper and set the oven to 180°C (356 degrees F).
2. To make the base, cream the butter, cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer. Add in the flour after and mix again. It should have a crumby dough consistency.
3. Pour the dough the tin. Firmly press it down into the bottom of the tin. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Put to the side to cool.
4. Next, measure the butter – for the peppermint layer- in a bowl and then cream with an electric mixer. Then add in the icing sugar and mix again. Add in the food colouring and the peppermint extract. Mix it all together. It takes a little while to get the right texture but it will eventually be a creamed butter texture. Put to the side until the base has fully cooled.
5. When the base has cooled spread the peppermint layer evenly on top of the base, and leave to set for 30-45 minutes.
6. Once set, melt the chocolate and leave to cool until the chocolate is runny and moderately cold. Then spread it over the rest of the slice and leave in the fridge until the chocolate is hard.
Made this Recipe?
Leave me a message in the comments to tell me how it went!